Pages

Monday, July 4, 2016

Planning To Hike The Colorado Trail


This summer's plan is to hike The Colorado Trail from Denver to Durango with a good portion sharing tred with the Continental Divide Trail. This is described as a beautiful, high, well marked hike, much of it over 10,00 feet elevation. I anticipate a challenge and the opportunity to see new vistas, trees, and wildflowers.  I'll be hiking again with Peggy who has just finished the New Mexico section of the Continental Divide Trail having started at the Mexican border earlier in the Spring. 
I anticipate being on the trail for 5-8 day sections and staying in towns or near civilization to resupply,  at which time I'll bring my travels up to date with a blog. Daily blogs are time consuming so I'll see how it works writing an overview of the section with photos. 
Meanwhile, here are pictures from my most recent training hike on Red Mountain near Mt. Ashland following the Pacific Crest Trail south from Siskiyou Gap.  The snow is almost melted and flowers are blooming. The day was beautiful and the night awash with stars as the Milky Way stretched across the sky above my tent. 
Our two tents in the foreground, we hiked up to the ridge in the background  and could see north into the valley of  Little Applegate, east to Mt McLaughlin and peaks around  Crater Lake, Wagner Butte, Mt Ashland, Pilot Rock and south to majestic Mt Shasta.
Colleen with Wagner Butte in the background and the tip of Mt McLaughlin  behind that.
Morning sunrise from my tent about 4:30 am
The trail out that morning.
Beargrass

No comments:

Post a Comment