Pages

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Sometimes It's Just Hard Work

7/25/13
PCT mile 2191-2202 11 miles
Elev. 1260-3541

We spent a damp and restless night by Panther Creek but got up at 5:30 anyway. This is a steep climb that we are hoping we can do in the cool morning. I had some cold leftover mashed potatoes with breakfast (everything tastes good when you're camping!) that I hoped would give me a carb boost. We carried 3 liters of water not knowing if the uphill was in shade or sun. The trail was steep right away but we made good time. We even did an extra 1 mi round trip side trail  to the top of Huckleberry Mt to see a great view.  South was Mt Hood and in the far distance  Mt Jefferson, then  turning to the north we saw Mt Adams and maybe a faint glimpse of Mt Rainier. 
I had fun trying to get this shot of Mt Hood through the dandelion!

The forest was beautiful in the filtered light and rounding a corner PegLeg saw a black bear about 40 yds away. I only heard it crash through the trees getting away!   
Once again we saw Mark (who we met the 2nd day) this time by Huckleberry Mt. He was trying to hike 24 miles by the evening.
Much of the trail today is in lovely forest where there are a myriad of wild flowers. Vanilla leaf, fading bear grass plumes, goat's beard, penstemon, fading columbine & tiger lily, daisy, twin flower & asters to name just a few. 
At last the trail descended to an area of new growth, tall bear grass plumes and some big old Douglas Fir,  there were lots of campsites scattered around and a tiny spring in a nearby gully.  We were the only ones there and had the pick of campsites. 
I have a blister starting on one heel where my orthotic rubs, I'd hoped it wouldn't be an issue this year.  I stopped & taped my shoe with duct tape and my foot with KT tape which seems to have done the trick. Because of biting flies we got into our tents until dinner.  Later as I was sitting down on a log to eat dinner I felt  a sharp twinge in my lower back that really hurt.  After going to bed I had trouble turning over or finding a position to sleep that didn't hurt.  I can think of nothing but being laid up with an injury and not able to hike out - or hobbling for 3 days to Trout Lake and having to stop the hike. Tomorrow will tell &  I'm trying not to panic as I attempt to get to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment