Pages

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Team Work Is a Beautiful Thing

7-26-13
PCT mile 2202 (a small spring) - 2214 at Blue Lake.  12 miles

Neither of us wanted to get up this morning but after levering myself out of the tent and trying to stand upright (my lower back really hurts) I approached Peggy to let her know that I've done something to my back.  After discussion she urged me not to make a decision about whether or not I can continue the hike, just to take my time getting ready for today's portion.  She would carry my food bag and extra water.  
We did some easy stretches and she gave me Aleve to help with inflammation and pain.  We started out slow, I shortened my stride and stopped when needed.  The walking began to warm my muscles and I got a rhythm started and soon we were making pretty good time. Today the trail goes beside and through lava beds reminding us of central Oregon near Three Sisters Wilderness where we hiked last summer.
This is the edge of a lava flow to give you an idea of the morning trail.

 After 4 miles we began a gentle climb and at 11:30 had lunch, it was quick  because the mosquitoes were persistent! The occasional small pond was a nice change of scenery, alive with buzzing dragonflies.
The last uphill miles were in full sun on south facing slopes where we stopped at every shade tree we could - it was so hot!  We were rewarded with views of Mt Adams.
The trail finally dipped into the next basin and Blue Lake where we were camping for the night.  Strong breezes off the lake kept us from camping near the shore so we chose a hilltop overlooking the lake instead.   After putting up the tents we did chores like filtering water,  rinsing out and hanging up socks worn today so there is always 1 pair clean.  The mosquitoes are bad in spite of the breeze. 

Here's Peggy cooking dinner at our campsite, also a photo of the lake.
I so appreciate Peggy's help and encouragement today, a distance hike is such a mental game and she helped me keep my mind on possibilities instead of limitations. Team work made all the difference!  The back pain is there but not nearly what it was this morning. Maybe it will heal itself with careful attention to how I bend and lift. 
Brief cell reception today let me get off a short text home so they know we're on schedule.  
I'll send my journals when I get cell coverage. So far there hasn't been enough coverage to send anything so  soon there'll be 6 days to post all at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment