Pages

Saturday, December 21, 2013

A Short Hiking Day but My Favorite So Far

9/23/13
PCT mile 52.5 - 59.5   8 miles
From Pioneer Mail to Sunrise Trailhead

We both had a good nights sleep, not too cold last night.  We got up at 5:45 am and had breakfast outside, drove to Pioneer Mail where I stopped hiking yesterday and got on the trail by 6:45. 
  Driving to the trailheads in the morning we both enjoy the dawn breaking over the Anza Borrega Desert in rich gold tones. There was a good breeze starting off today so I had my extra fleece on for warmth. 
This is my morning shadow hiking with me. 

This is the Pioneer Mail road that the PCT borrows for a shot while, walking in the golden morning light is a delight. 
The Anza is wrapped in shadows but not for long as fingers of light pry into it's chilly corners.
I soon stopped to shed my fleece layer and enjoy the chill on my warm skin.  Every curve in the trail was a thrill today. These rocks were all over the hillsides, the trail wound in, around and through them. I wanted to climb up on them and see the world from each new vantage point but hiking alone, that would not be a good idea. 
I love how the folds of the mountains hold the shadows.
Iron deposits make pictures on these big white rocks. 

All too soon the 8 miles were finished. I saw no one on this stretch and loved every minute of my solitude in this beauty.  Robin met me 2/10ths of a mile from trails end and we lugged back a beautiful stone with pink deposits running through it for the garden. 
8 miles in 3 hours, it makes a big difference not carrying a full pack!

No comments:

Post a Comment