Pages

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Blown Away!


9/22/13
Burnt Rancheria Campground
Mount Laguna

During the night winds began blowing, and blowing, and BLOWING!
I slept only 2 hours, Robin finally went into the car to try to sleep. I was afraid at times that we would be blown away, poles snapping and the tent ripping to bits.   We'd staked the tent into the ground but now they were bent, useless, but at least they'd held fast. The fly attachments were whipped into tangles that I occasionally caught hold of by unzipping the tent door and extending my hand as they whipped around.  The tent would lift, crash down and mush side to side in the blasts, I had visions of a tree limb coming down on my head.   At first light I packed my gear up because I was sure we were leaving at the first opportunity. I raced out to the car to talk to Robin, noticing there was a blanket of wet fog all around, he suggested we go get breakfast in Julien 38 miles away and off the mountain.  As we drove north across the Laguna Mts we drove right out of the fog and into a lovely sunrise. 
Literally, we drove out of this cloud bank.

The morning light was gorgeous! 

We heard on the radio that the winds were 34 mph and I wonder if they weren't the Santa Annas that are known to kick up in this region.  
Our breakfast finished, we drove back to our camp in the clear morning and I packed a light pack with food & water and set out for an abbreviated hike.  Since I'd gotten a late start I would only go 11.5 miles today to Pioneer Mail Picnic area. The name comes from an early mail route using an old road that the PCT borrows for a short while.  I started off by the Desert Nature Trail where I'd hiked yesterday and skirted the campground actually coming quite close to our campsite where there was a water fountain in the middle of a clearing. Nice to know for future hiking up here. 
This is an observatory on government property just off the PCT.

 I past a picnic area with tables that would take a hiker to the community store and post office for resupply packages. (but I have my own personal trail angel to help me with resupply. Thank you,  Robin! ) Soon I was in a burned area, really stark, everything was burned, even the dirt. My umbrella was a life saver as there was no shade to be found. I met a few people day hiking and at times could see the road and cars. Coming off of a hill, across a valley the trail came just below an observation deck burnt by the fire and closed.  Below it was a stack of patio chairs which I borrowed as I sat down and ate my lunch shaded by the deck overhead. 
Burnt desert brush. The dust coated my legs to above my knees even though I was wearing my long pants. 

Some greenery peeking through, tying to make a comeback.

I continued on, hiking just below and out of view of the road.  This time overlooking the vastness of the Anza Borrega Desert far below me. 
The views off Mt Laguna to the Anza fell away into loneliness. 

  There were quite a few day hikers out hiking around Garnet Peak where I was headed, easily accessed by a trailhead near the road.  Occasionally I  saw these small sunflower like blooms in the burnt, black earth, a welcome color burst.

By later afternoon I was tired and hot and ready for a break. I was sure Robin was just around the next corner so I started to hurry but the picnic area never seemed materialize.  On an on I traipsed, finally I saw a family and I swore I saw someone wave at me.   Still, I just kept going around corners and there would be more trail!  Finally, I saw Robin, he was above me on a ridge but I didn't think I had the energy to get up there, I hoped the trail didn't end up that high!
Another look at the Anza far down the Laguna Mountains.

Thankfully Robin had hiked up the old Pioneer Mail road to look down on the trail so he could see me coming. I didn't have to hike up there until tomorrow.  He said later that I had been traveling really fast when we saw each other. Like a horse to the barn at the end of the day I guess!
  Back at our camp spot, at Burnt Rancheria,  Robin had snacks & cold drinks for me.  We are the only campers at this entire end of the campground because it's Sunday night. It's a beautiful evening with a fire in the fire pit.  We want to go to bed but it's too early, we play a game that we have to see 10 stars before we can head to bed!  Finally, the 10th star is located.

No comments:

Post a Comment