Pages

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Climbing up the Laguna Mountains

9/21/13
PCT mile 20-41.5   21.5 miles
Lk Morena to Burnt Rancheria Campground

Robin and I woke at 5:30am to the chilly darkness. I packed my gear and ate breakfast, double checked everything and Robin walked with me out of the campground to the trail. He was to pack up camp and have breakfast himself then go to a grocery and get goodies to meet me at PCT mile 30 where the trail crossed a road. 
This was my view of Lk Morena in the chilly morning at 6:45.  The cold air had created fog over the lake surface, the moon hanging in a beautifully pink sky... It was a great start!  

Warming up fast I took off my jacket and after winding around large stones, desert brush and around hills the trail descended into fenced meadowy areas, under trees and meandered across a flat valley.  I met a young man around mile 24 who looked lean and hungry. I asked if he was southbound and finishing a thru hike?  He said he'd started in Yosemite and was 24 miles from the finish on the border at Campo.  I shook his hand with a big congratulatory smile and said,  "Good Job"!    Such an accomplishment,  I knew the feeling!   
 I crossed under Hwy 8 with cars whizzing overhead then angled up beside the Hwy and I could see the trail leading over the hill and beyond.  I gained elevation so I could look back down on the trail where I'd come from and knew Robin was up ahead of me not too far away. I arrived at the road crossing suddenly, one minute I thought I was in the middle of nowhere and the next, there was our car and Robin looking for me!  He had a chair set up with an umbrella for shade, a cooler with drinks and fruit!  Now that's the way to hike!  Why hadn't Peggy and I planned our hike like this in the first place?
  I didn't stay long but oh my, the cold drink was heavenly!    I remembered we might have a small purse sized umbrella in the car trunk so I got it out and started hiking with that for shade, it was getting hot outside (in the 80s) and on exposed hillsides with scrub up to head height, not much shade available.   Three miles further there was a small track crossing the trail where I saw people sitting by a car, it looked like my car but who were all the people?   Robin had found a rough road which he crept up in the car, set up again and noticed 4 college age guys hiking toward him. He asked them if they wanted water and a sweet roll?  No questions asked, they veered over and soon were telling their stories sitting under a shade tree drinking water eating a snack when I walked up. They were going the opposite direction that I was, hiking 20 some miles to Lake Morena. 
 I didn't stay long visiting, I knew Robin would have no other opportunities to meet me today.  He was going up to the campground to set up our camp and wait for me to arrive.   I hiked most of the day by myself meeting a few people coming the other direction. This section is all uphill ascending to the beautiful Laguna Mountains. The umbrella saved me, giving me shade that made a big difference in the heat & I know I'll be buying a lighter version with mylar covering for 2014's hike.  I carried water with me and never saw any streams or anything available, one of the drawbacks to hiking later in the season.
 Climbing higher into the hills I noticed a change, more pine trees growing.  I knew I must be getting closer to the top & began to hear cars but couldn't see the road.   Soon I began to see people on the trail, then a Desert Nature Trail sign which I knew meant I was close to our campground.  When I saw a connector trail I took it and came out on a campground road so I called Robin and he drove to meet me in 3 minutes. 
  Our tent and camp were set up and the afternoon heat felt just right under the pine tree canopy.  I took a shower, what a treat &  Robin had dinner all ready to eat.   This could be addicting! 
We were in bed at 7:00pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment